Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 19:06 NewMaxx

Subscription models work well for niche games, actually, like EVE. WoW is pretty much the only real exception to the rule. Of course it has more content than GW2...it's been out forever! I've gone through all that in a previous thread. GW2 and WoW, and for that matter likely ESO, are in two different classes. Anybody who argues otherwise misses the point. GW2 was made to be sub-free.

The GW2 model, for consoles, simply makes more sense, though. Don't care what justification you come up for a counter-argument, it falls flat since it's not considering either A) a niche game (honestly FFXIV on consoles fell and falls into that net) or B) a game on PC only (easier to develop for). Yes, if ESO was PC-only, I'd agree with a sub, which is why I suggest they use a hybrid sub model for the PC within the multi-platform framework.

It would make for a better game and PC players would pay it. If you honestly think that model will work for consoles, then you're very much out of touch with the average player. Guess what they'll consider a "failure" if it doesn't deliver? Console subs. PC players will get screwed over for that as the game will "end up F2P." Hence why I again say that approaching the platforms with different pricing schemes is the logical choice.

Let me put it another way...imagine GW2 comes out on consoles. The game design and style fits a gamepad pretty well, actually (I'm sure ESO does, too). With their payment structure you can bet they'll get their sales, their microtransactions fit into existing systems, and really the only overhaul necessary is contiguous updates. It fits console players perfectly. Then ESO comes out and tries to be WoW in that same space...good luck. They'll never be able to keep up with content across 3 platforms needing individual testing and updates at a subscription quality.

Oh wait, what if they give a WoW experience like that on the PC and stagger the console updates...but PC players pay subs...oh no, no! Not logic! What kind of person pays a sub to get the game on a PC that provides a more up-to-date and nicer experience when they can pay upfront + micro to enjoy a more stable experience on a console gamepad...oh wait...that would make sense.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo