Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2013, 10:45 Verno

sauron wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 17:20:
Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 16:46:
Personally, I don't think we should do anymore than we already do to educate people about healthy eating. You get a good dose of that in school and on early education programs. We just need to make people who are too lazy to do anything about it pay more in medical costs.

I can see where you're coming from, but the poorest sector of the population is the most likely to be obese. They're already on Medicaid/Medicare. The system's already paying their costs. Educating these folks is cheaper than treating them later. It's also why NYC sponsors fresh fruit carts in poor neighborhoods like Harlem, where I live.

Actually, it's funny, two blocks away from my building there's a greasy dog/burger cart and a fresh fruit cart. Always a line at the former, never a soul at the latter. You can't even give the fruit away. And even the kids from the area that go to good schools and have fantastic grades still eat bad. They're educated in every other way but the diet is the last to sink in.

North American diets are crazy on carbs in general, people have become addicted to them. Almost every meal needs a carb side and worse, many main servings are basically a 70/20/10 carb/protein/veggie split. I'm not a big subscriber to those crazy low carb diets but there is such a thing as too much. It's not just a problem of how much people are eating in NA, it's about what they're eating too. It's no surprise people are packing in high GI foods and accumulating fat like crazy. People are very uneducated about healthy lifestyle and dieting in general despite having the internet at our fingertips due to lobby efforts, advertising and conflicting info.

The problem is that it's hard to break people of the bad habits, in many cases they've lived that way their entire lives. Little to no exercise, eating large portions of high GI foods with every meal, thinking that 70+g of carbs per serving is normal, etc. I don't really know how you solve that problem, its going to require generations of effort to undo much like smoking.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo