Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2013, 17:04 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 16:32:
noble ideas but in the end useless i think. there's no lack of knowledge on what's healthy and what's not. i think it really just boils down to personal responsibility like agent said. it's not like it's a big secret that broccoli and carrots are healthy for you, or that junk food is bad. but it is mystifying why some people can't figure out why they're fat when they do nothing but eat all day.

Personal responsibility is an essential ingredient of course. Personal responsibility doesn't happen in a vacuum though. We're continuously influenced by our peers and the culture around us. There's lots of things you can do to guide people to make the right decisions as I mentioned, especially the priced-based ones.

But education is also very important. Lots and lots of people ARE ignorant about the specifics of healthy eating. Which have more calories per weight: potato chips, or tortilla chips? Which is healthier: Ben and Jerry's or Breyer's? Why? Why are refined carbs so bad for you? What's the effect on the body? What combinations of foods will mitigate the effect of something with a high glycemic index, this preventing adult onset diabetes? Etc. etc.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo