Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 13:24 Kristian Joensen

Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:45:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:38:
Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:33:
They should have just made a deal with Valve to integrate steam out of the box. This would have made a lot of nerds very happy. The same nerds that released the shitstorm complaining about the Xbox One DRM when it was really just a copy of the steam DRM.
It was NOT a copy of Steam's DRM. Steam does NOT require a authentication once every 24 hours.
Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours? Me neither. You are right, though, it was not a copy, it was better actually. Games lending and all. But that's a moot point now. I'm not saying Microsoft did a good job (they didn't) but consumers never want innovation, they want the stuff they already have (xbox 360 and ps3 with better graphics).

"Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours?"

Yes, yes I certainly do. But you don't actually have to lose your connection for 24 hours at a time for Microsoft's initial proposal to be a problem. You just have to lose the connection when the authentication for that day happens.

Not everyone is as lucky as you to have a stable internet connection. Personally I refuse to get any game with ANY other DRM expect Steam for that very reason. I also absolutely refuse to be limited in any way on how often I get to install/authenticate a game or what kind of hardware changes I can make to my setup. GFWL is ruled out due to my extremely bad experience from Gears of War PC. I don't trust Origin or UPlay due to the history of those companies.

Ladron3dfx wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 05:10:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:38:
Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:33:
They should have just made a deal with Valve to integrate steam out of the box. This would have made a lot of nerds very happy. The same nerds that released the shitstorm complaining about the Xbox One DRM when it was really just a copy of the steam DRM.
It was NOT a copy of Steam's DRM. Steam does NOT require a authentication once every 24 hours.

I thought the Steam client authenticates when signing in, authenticates when the game is initiated and authenticates on a periodic bases while the client is running in the background while gaming.

It was a better version of the Steam DRM, more lenient, family sharing, a new method of selling used disc based games and even used digital games I believe. You certainly can't sell your unwanted digital games on Steam, it's forbidden. You can't even gift your unwanted games to anyone, even family members. Shame. What a shame.

I can and have been using Steam offline all the time. Never once had an issue. The pattern is the same I loose my internet connection either for a little while or for an extended period and Steam automatically goes in to offline mode and I continue gaming happily as if nothing happened. Some people have went weeks with Steam in offline mode, with the original Xbox One DRM you could NOT do that therefore it was NOT more lenient than Steam. The comparisons to Steam are simply lies by certain (supposed) MS people.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2013, 13:30.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo