Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 19, 2013, 02:49 eRe4s3r

SlimRam wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 19:47:
....also funny that the AI most games have is all stemmed from the AI developed by a modder for either Quake or Quake 2, i can't remember which one. But long story short, almost all FPS AI is stemmed from this very old code, as it's perfect for point-to-point.

If I'm not mistaken your talking about the 'Reaper Bot', and it was for Quake 1 I believe? Had TONS of fun playing with those bots! The AI was quite good as long as the pathing had been setup for the map you downloaded. And if I am not mistaken again, Epic actually HIRED the guy that made the reaper bot to program the AI for the first 'Unreal' Ahhhh good times and great gaming memories!

It's also why Battlefield 3 and 4 don't and won't have MP bot support. On large maps with air and ground, water and underwater areas you can no longer waypoint correctly. You'd need to code different AI for each of these situations. And nobody so far managed to do this correctly without waypoints.

You remember UT2k4 , these bots had great performance on their set levels, but making waypoints for maps is a mega huge hassle and takes often longer than making the entire map to begin with.

Also for the record, EPIC's unreal bots were indeed some of the best and Reaper bot is the reason for that. But these bots don't work with dynamically changing level elements which is why Battlefield doesn't have bots anymore. Destruction made it literally impossible, unless someone comes up with a really cool and cpu friendly way to make bots behave properly on constantly changing map layouts and situations.

You'll see this kind of stuff probably only when we have more cpu cores than bots in game. 1 core per bot would work really well and allow some insane AI stuff. Sadly.. you'd need a 128 core cpu ;p

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2013, 02:55.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo