Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 17:52 4D-Boxing

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 11:37:
I wouldn't expect it to be Unreal. That universe is kind of generic, each consecutive title since UT sold less than the last, and, honestly, it's boring.

They can do a much more interesting world than what Unreal had. Plus, have any throwback games been fun? Doom 3 sucked. Quake 4 sucked. Duke Forever sucked. What was fun and interesting in the 90s kind of sucks now (though I think you could still make an awesome Doom game.)

I agree that they could make an awesome doom game but to me doom and UT universe are almost identical. Unless you're referring to single player (unreal which I've never touched.

As for UT, yes it sold less and less but look at what they released. The level of effort just wasn't there IMHO. They seemed to try and capitalize on the name and reputation like Activision did after COD4.

Multiply the size of old UT99 maps by 4+ to accommodate 32 to 64 players. (meaning entirely new maps). Eliminate weapon drops and health drops (there are more interesting ways of offering this that I'll keep to myself for now). Maximize the use of destructible environments (original crysis and beyond level). Ability to personalize your character so no 2 player look the same unless they want to. Bring back all the original game types add the more popular ones from post UT99 releases and add domination. Completely change the weapons (evolution of tech since its been over a decade).

Those few addition to a basic game like UT would make it a hit IMO. It could become a small scale BL2 but PVP. Last and not least, LAN support is mandatory, mod support as well. The flow of user created maps and game modes can't be put aside by short sighted suites who don't understand the clientele and think no mods just new releases each year a la COD. The DayZ mod helped the original base title sell how many more copies? Their profit margins would be just as high if they focused on solid expansions (not 3 map 3 gun DLC) to complement user mods and add new features (support for new graphical tech etc).

Anyways that's my rant... now to enjoy my vacation and order my 40th bday gift (KupaX15-Ultra for fun between gaming sessions and rest the SLI beast)

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo