Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2013, 18:53 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 17:43:
ViRGE wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:58:
Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:31:
Good old Verizon. "It's damaged beyond repair." No, it's damaged beyond your WILLINGNESS to repair it. Those two are not the same fucking thing.
Not quite. Salt water + copper wiring leads to the outright destruction of copper wiring. I mean yeah, bringing back the service is technically "repairing" it, but in reality what has to happen is that Verizon would need to lay down a completely new network. And given they just lost their copper plants it would have to be a fiber network at easily over 10K/home.

That stuff is expensive at a time when people are getting rid of landlines.

And? Fine, if Verizon doesn't want to do it, get out of the area altogether, so another provider can get in there. And they don't want to do that either, because they charge those people higher than normal fees for being in a "difficult to serve" area. It's basically a printing press for money.

This fucking idea that reigns here in the US that if a corporation's infrastructure breaks down, the customer should somehow foot the bill is utterly retarded.

Creston

The article seems to say that they do want to get out -- or at least switch to wireless -- and the state is looking at whether to let them. Isn't that the point of the article?

You kind of assume that someone else wants to get in there, and I really don't think that's the case.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo