Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 07:16 Redmask

I'm so tired of CliffyB's dumb bullshit and people who think that little dumbo has a brain. Here's some facts about used games and their effect on the industry:

Gamestop sells new to used at a ratio of 2:1. If all of their profit from used games disappeared back into the industry overnight it would solve NOTHING. Their last fiscal report was about $2 billion for new hardware versus $1 billion on used. But Gamestop profits off used because you're talking about 20% (at best) retailer cut on new products versus practically 100% on used so it balances out.

Gamestop is the #1 video game retailer in the world. The amount of money and marketing they generate for the industry is so massive that a private press conference is held for them each year in Las Vegas. Cutting them out won't solve shit and publishers begrudgingly know this. And Gamestop can't exist on new products alone. Literally no store that isn't eating profit can subsist on products directly from the manufacturer. They must offer some kind of service or have a better cut on merchandise than the standard 20%. Whether it's a grocery store selling their own brand or Best Buy's Geek Squad, no business can exist by selling directly from the manufacturer. It is economically impossible. Reselling games is necessary to maintain business, pure and simple.

There's more studies and actual evidence to support used games being good for the industry than not. Every time a developer talks about stealing money from their pockets or looks at trophy data to calculate theoretical dollars like that episode of South Park, they are spewing shit from their mouths into your face. You want to know what's killing video games? The price. Sixty dollars for fucking everything and internationally speaking 60usd = 60euro = 60 pounds sterling = 300aus. David Jaffe illustrated this issue up front, saying gamers are getting shafted but when asked about a solution he just shrugged his shoulders. Business as usual in the video game industry. There are 99 problems but not 1 answer.

And games cost too much to develop. Like upwards of $60 million average, too much. Square Enix said that Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs were all disappointments despite selling millions! Capcom said Resident Evil 6 bombed and I'm pretty sure it sold 4+ million!!! For the longest time Ubisoft was losing money on AssCreed until the yearly releases started catching up. You have no right to complain about not recouping your money when your $100 million blockbuster bombs. Here's an actual quote from Cliff Bleszinski:

"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people."

This is a perfect encapsulation of the industry's mindset. Games cost too much to develop so instead of doing what literally any other business in the world is doing to save themselves (downsizing and reorganizing) let's blame someone else! Dear customer, you're to blame for trying to get a good deal in a market that encourages it! The market is to blame for allowing it! The licensee is to blame for not putting a block on the customer! My intern is to blame for not promoting the game harder on Metacritic, everyone is to blame but myself and my business decisions!

When asked about The Witcher 2 and why they weren't working on an Xbox version out the gate, CD Projekt Red basically said it was because they didn't want to spend the money on simultaneous development so they could focus their resources. The Witcher 2 cost about $10-12 million, Xbox 360 version included. The average Call of Duty is upwards of $100 million. EA plasters massive posters on the sides of buses and Times Square or gets superbowl commercials. Do you not see what is wrong with this? A lot of these big budget games could sell themselves based on word alone. Does Call of Duty: Ghosts need any advertising whatsoever to sell over a million units? I don't think so!

But you are all to blame because you didn't buy the game day 1 and get the DLC with it. Fuck you, gamers, you're killing us! I just spent $10 million realistically modeling this fucking dog and you didn't buy my $15 map pack, you're killing me!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo