Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

74. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 17:44 Krizzen

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 13:50:
This is the little guy using MAJOR shenanigans to scam money out of people for a alpha. Do you know how many games never make it out of alpha, many of the indie games never do.

If you want to be an outright fool and support them, go ahead, while the rest of us laugh at you.

Not really. I don't think this is a case where folks have pledged an absurd amount of money to some random Joe's Game Dev Shack. These guys atleast have some history in the genre. From the Kickstarter: "Total Annihilation, Command & Conquer, Supreme Commander and Demigod"

I agree with your notion that there's a possibility all the Kickstarter funds and now Steam funds they receive may completely go to waste. The consequences if Uber Entertainment fails are very, VERY grim. I think the whole Kickstarter (and early alpha/beta) path is high risk, high reward for both parties. In the end, folks can only hope the developer delivers on their promises. If not, then their next round of crowdsourced funding probably won't happen.

I think participating in early alphas/betas is something lots of people do mostly for the experience, and the thought that they somehow participated in the development of (hopefully) one of their favorite games. It has less to do with actual early access to the final game, since that's not what it's all about. So, if you think it's a scam, you might want to read the fine print.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2013, 17:53.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo