Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

48. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 22:21 Redmask

Orogogus wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 21:21:
In the case of Resident Evil 6, and of Tomb Raider, I don't think it was the case that the games weren't profitable. In both instances these games failed to meet projections, and I don't think anyone said either one lost money. Tomb Raider in particular was derided since it set a record for the franchise but still didn't meet its goals.

I've heard it bantied around that they weren't profitable after marketing expenses.

Ultimately I do agree about the overemphasis on expensive graphics, but I feel the way people go on about it is misguided. Usually people point at titles like FTL or Minecraft as indie games taking over the reins from big publishers, but those are kind of one-offs. I think a more realistic expectation from big publishers scaling back their insane expectations would be a stream of somewhat janky looking shooters, probably half of them with zombies.

We get that already. Someone makes a game and everyone else apes it. Those indie games aren't outliers, they are becoming the norm thanks to self publishing platforms. It's not realistic to expect AAA games to be developed like that but likewise it isn't realistic for publishers to continue down this road without changes. There is a middle ground to be found and it won't be found by blaming the consumer. People want better everything, that's just human nature. It doesn't mean they won't take what they can get when it's still just pretty good. Publishers are end loaded, they make cuts at the bottom and the people at the top keep riding the gravy train as long as possible, that's a good starting place.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo