Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 16:23 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 13:00:
Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 12:28:
"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing," he said via Twitter. "The numbers do NOT work people."

CliffyB's latest troll rant against used games is up and he predictably backs Microsoft, claiming that modern game development and marketing is too expensive to support a used game market. Of course one might wonder why the marketing and game budgets need to be this high in the first place when people will spend millions on something like Terraria and Minecraft, surely there is a middle ground to be found there.

Destructoid absolutely decimates his argument, thought people might want to take a gander.

I see validity in both sides of the argument. Some, at least.

... (snip) ...

It's extremely hard for a large industry to become a small industry voluntarily. I can't even think of a precedent for that.

There was a great podcast last week on Gamers With Jobs discussing the rise of mid-tier games as a response to ballooning budgets.

These are games that debut at $20-30, and have good graphics and good gameplay. Some examples: Torchlight 2, Kerbal, Prison Architect, Trine 2, Xenonauts, Van Helsing, War for the Overworld, Zeno Clash 2, Star Drive, etc.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo