Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 16:00 NewMaxx

Yeah, pretty much what I predicted over two months ago. (original post)

"the console companies want to exit the market (take a look at the XBox division sale rumors for an example)." (Microsoft is phoning the gaming portion in while pushing other entertainment areas far more)

"it's clear that Sony and Microsoft are both tired of the game. It's likely you will have a monopoly on your hands" (Sony, most likely, which ties back to the XBox division sale)

"the current strategy is an exit strategy, not one of growth, so of course they're going to tie down the user base. They want you hooked on the services, not the games." (a prediction borne out by things like Microsoft's recent free games for Live plan, DRM in XBox One, etc.)

The PS4 won simply because Microsoft isn't interested in the same things as Sony. Quite frankly, they can't afford to be, as I have stated many times the traditional console marketplace is shrinking. It's like saying one grocery store is killing another when the former is selling only food and the latter has gone Walmart. There's room in the market for both types because they aren't serving the same customers for the same goods. Anyway, I've made other posts essentially saying the console market will be commoditized/licensed because outside AAA games you got a booming mobile and indie market along with viable streaming/indie competitors.

In otherwords, the XBox One is trying to be the jack-of-all-trades to cover all its bases (and relying on continued Xbox 360 sales, Live subs, etc.) while Sony is being aggressive, but again, the market itself is dying, so Microsoft's strategy once again is an exit strategy. I can't emphasize that enough.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo