Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 14:16 PropheT

Creston wrote on May 15, 2013, 11:34:
MC still has some marginal value to judge a game at a glance, though. (even though said value is getting less and less, with more and more review sites simply being paid shills these days.)

Game reviews in general are what make Metacritic useless, whether it's because people are being paid to shill like you say or just because video game reviews as a whole have little to no value. A good game that isn't hyped to death will get 70's, a great game 80's, and anything that's hyped and marketed to hell and back gets high 80's or 90's unless it's fairly bad. That's always been a problem with game reviews, really, but I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now...especially since big review sites decided they were going to start scoring some games lower to seem more balanced.

Metacritic itself isn't the problem and it does have some value, it's just that you need to take every score you see on it with a grain of salt since the reviews that build the aggregate are often of so little value individually.

I'd ignore reviews entirely and dismiss the entire thing is worthless at this point, but when the games that are made available to us are funded and built around Metacritic scores that makes that difficult.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo