Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

38. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 18:15 Flatline

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:03:
The game costs 800 Microsoft Points, which is $10 US (most other countries actually cost more). At $10 selling 200,000 copies is 2 million. Even if Microsoft takes 50% (they don't, but let's pretend that rest goes to taxes) that's still a million dollars.

So the tools to make the game, the people that worked on the game (he had one previous partner who left, as well as a second partner), the time it took to make the game, the guy that did the music, the office space it was created in, and the trips to PAX and other events all cost him nothing?

To be fair, the guy, as head designer, made a calculated business risk. He got one free patch, just one, and he figured that he could make the game close enough to perfect in that one patch.

Then a game-crippling bug was introduced into the game. His business gamble fucked up hardcore. His response was essentially "y'all are fucked if I'm going to be financially responsible for fixing a massive mistake I allowed through"

He doesn't have a right to profit in his business. Period. Consumers have a reasonable expectation to get a product without game-crippling bugs, whether straight out of the gate or via patches. It's called acting in good faith.

The proper response here would have been to either roll the patch back or take FEZ off the XBLA. Microsoft shares some greed culpability here too, but so does the designer. He'll gladly take your money for a product he knows is broken (along with MS to be fair) and tell you "You're fucked motherfucker."

It's right along the edge of fraud really.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo