Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

18. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 28, 2013, 02:10 WyldKat

RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 23:01:
Gadzooks wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 22:48:
Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 19:29:
Kickstart an MMO so that I can then pay monthly fees? Sure, let me get my wallet...

Creston

This is exactly what I challenged Mark Jacobs with multiple times, and despite his huge amount of open talk with players, he has not said one word about it.

Subscriptions are there because they supposedly justify the monthly new content and suchs mmorpgs get (supposedly). An mmorpg, without PvE, focused 99% around PvP, cant really have content updates. So basically your subs go to giving the devs steak dinners every night.

Again, I challenge Jacobs to prove otherwise.

From Mark Jacobs:

Because I donít want to have to support 95% of the server population free of charge, pray that 5% spend a lot of money and then find ways to get a small % of the 95% to spend something; b) Maybe, but I think it is the good kind of insane; c) Check back with me in about 3-5 years. Thereís a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not (well, itís not of course). Besides, we will get a tighter community with fewer people who actually really want to play and stick with our game as opposed to a large number of people who are playing until they have to pay or they find a different FTP that interests them. Iíll take lower profits, fewer players, tighter community any day of the week. FYI, I said this same thing before, back when networks like GEnie, AOL, etc. were charging for games and the first ďAdver-model gamesĒ were supposed to take over the world.

Source

More here:

http://camelotunchainedfaq.wikispaces.com/Subscription+Model

So... he's completely out of touch with what's been happening in the MMO industry for the past 3-5 years, not to mention the Buy2Play new hotness that has occured in the past year.

I guess I'm not really surprised seeing as how they'll be repeating all the mistakes they made with DAOC as well as making it a PVP only griefer's paradise.

I do find it hilarious though that he's on this "subscription games are still relevant" soapbox while nickle and diming things in his Kickstarter in true F2P fashion, such as Priority Logins, Additional Storage, and even customer support queue priority as well as a special currency to buy them.

He's double dipping, just as The Secret World did charging a subscription and having people buy stuff on their cash shop. Worked out great for them, too, only I don't recall them having anything but clothing on their cash shop... hmm...

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo