Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

34. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 24, 2013, 04:54 Jerykk

Wait, you complain that blink makes the game too easy but then say that it's the only thing that makes the game interesting..? You can't have it both ways. Blink is a teleportation ability. Teleportation, by it's very nature, isn't fair and gives you a pretty distinct advantage. In Dishonored, it lets you move about environments very quickly and reach areas that NPCs cannot. This is satisfying but obviously unfair to the NPCs. I'm not sure how you would resolve this because the ability's most appealing benefits are also the most unbalanced. If you want a challenge, don't abuse unbalanced mechanics. And please stop with the nonsense about the most interesting abilities only being combat-centric. That's bullshit. Blink, Bend Time and Possession are the most interesting abilities in the game and they are all very useful for stealthy players. And if you want a "visceral" experience, why are you trying to be stealthy? Stealth is slow and methodical. It's the exact opposite of visceral.

As I said before, stealth has always been a matter of self-restraint. In every Splinter Cell, shooting everyone has always been a viable approach if your aim is good enough. In every Hitman, shooting everyone has always been a viable approach because the combat AI has always been terrible. Newer games make combat even easier, yes, but it doesn't change the fact that combat was perfectly viable in the previous games too.

If you want to play stealthy, play stealthy. If you don't, don't. If you want to play stealthy but the game forces you into combat (like in Conviction or DX:HR), then you have valid grounds for complaint. Otherwise, you're just being silly.

For what it's worth, I ghosted my way through Absolution on the highest difficulty and I only had to wear a disguise in two missions. Trust me when I say that wearing disguises makes the game significantly easier, even if they are severely nerfed compared to the previous games.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2013, 05:00.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo