Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

21. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 23, 2013, 15:55 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 14:05:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 12:31:
combat should never be a viable option in any stealth game

And that's why I hate stealth games. I like screwing up and having that "holy crap holy crap holy crap" adrenaline chaos of blowing off heads and running for some ductwork and praying that the shots I'm firing land and they shots they aren't don't.

And then I get annoyed that I can just hide in a duct and wait. In better games I can't, so I pop out of the duct on the opposite side of the room and resume taking people out.

But I hate most stealth games. They always feel more like quicksave adventures than other games, and most stealth games are less about doing things right and more about doing them how the level designer hoped you would. Sure, you can go through a level a dozen ways, but a dozen ways that were programmed. This elevator works but that doesn't. Stuff like that. Thief games didn't do this, but man, the Splinter Cell and Hitman games I played certainly did.

The levels in Thief are just as designed as the levels in SC and Hitman, though I guess it depends on which iterations you played. SC: Chaos Theory and Hitman: Blood Money had the most open-ended levels of their respective series.

To me, the appeal of stealth games is perfectionism. Figuring out how to get through a level undetected and leaving no trace behind is tremendously satisfying if the levels are open-ended and AI reactive enough. It essentially becomes a puzzle game that requires a deep understanding of level layouts and AI systems. If I'm detected, I consider that a fail state, even if I'm technically able to recover and progress. Engaging in combat isn't even an option in my mind. If I wanted to fight, I'd play an action game.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo