Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

48. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 18:30 NewMaxx

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 15:47:
Based on that very underwhelming leaked gameplay footage of ESO, I have a feeling that ESO is going to be SWtOR v. 2.0 and will not do so well (after the initial rush of sales and subs due to the brand name).

I honestly feel their success will fall much on how they approach monetization and the community. For example, Guild War 2's approach to a high upfront cost with a lot of nickel and diming worked pretty well for it. Then you look at The Foundry from Star Trek Online and now other Perfect World titles, and you see how modding should be handled. The age of subscriptions is quickly coming to an end, and is one of the reasons SWToR failed.

The reason modding is important is that it solves one of the largest issues with a high-cost MMO: content supply. That removes the need for a full-priced subscription requirement (although not as an option) which in turn enables more flexibility with the user base. Server costs can largely be mitigated by commission (see Diablo 3's RMAH), which while having its own problems might work for a properly designed MMO.

Modding is crucial especially for an Elder Scrolls game, I am sure everyone can agree. Yet its presence will dictate much of the rest of the game, as elaborated above, and that means reliance on the large and great community. Star Wars likewise had such a community - built up at least partially from Galaxies - that was totally ignored and let down by EA with SWToR (and Sony, with the Galaxies expansion).

So, to reiterate: monetization and community are the keys to success or failure.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo