Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 22:22 PropheT

The reason I never get behind any of this, uh, crap is because it's so all-inclusive. Game shows bare breasts? Misogynist. Game has male lead characters, no female lead? Sexist. Rinse, repeat, for absolutely anything writer can find to support that argument.

It's generalist bullshit dismissing the entire medium as anti-female because there are some prominent examples you can pick out in a primarily male-driven hobby. A lot of it is going to be made for men, because the audience is primarily men. That doesn't mean it's anti-woman, or even sexist, any more than movie theaters are anti-male because they have Sex and the City 1 and 2 and Meg Ryan movies and whatever. Some stuff is made for you, some is made for me. Why don't we see more third person shooters made with the sensibilities of girl gamers in mind? Because men playing them make up enough of the market that there's not much of a choice come funding time.

Point is, you can have your cake and eat it too. If there's enough of a demand for the kind of games that we want to classify as girl games, then they'll get made, sell well, and the market for them will increase and flourish. And if they do, fantastic...but that doesn't mean games that aren't like that need to disappear for it to happen.

Sometimes nobody listens because they aren't aware of the objections, but sometimes they just aren't listening because what you're saying is stupid.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo