Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

29. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 12:21 Creston

Slashman wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 08:36:
Playing a game should be a different experience than reading a book. The problem is that most developers cannot properly marry the two types of story telling and pick one over the other instead of achieving a decent synergy of both. There are situations and events in a game that may be better related through actions and animation than through reading words on a page.

You need to take into account that Torment is going on 14 years old. Portraying a deep story through graphics and animation simply wasn't possible back then. If you wanted to have deep characters, you had to describe everything they did in words, because on screen they were half an inch tall and looked like amorphous brown blobs. (or yellow blobs, if you had given them the yellow armor.)

I don't want to play a game that feels like a choose-your-own path novel. I want it to be a game. I want it to use the capabilities of my computer to let me feel like I'm living it while remaining a deep experience.

That's fine, but don't expect that out of a Kickstarter. What you describe costs a metric shitload of money. While it is certainly possible with the power of today's PCs, it also requires an incredible amount of work. I believe Bioware had somewhere between 30 to 50 animators working on the Mass Effect series (IIRC) for all the animation in their dialogues. And apparently the average salary for these guys is around 80 grand a year.

Also, writing words is cheap. A good writer can churn out around a few thousand words a day. While doing so for a game is probably impossible, since there are far more varieties in what you have to write compared to a novel, I'm sure that Avellone can still take an area and put a thousand words of dialogue and descriptions in there in a day. If said dialogue doesn't have to be voiced and animated, he's done. On to the next area. If it DOES have to be voiced and animated, it's probably going to be worked on for the next few months by the equivalent of a small development house.

This next Torment game is going to be a massive BOOK, and in very many ways a choose-your-own-path novel. It's not going to be what you are describing. If they wanted to do that, they'd have needed around 10 times what they hauled in.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo