Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

34. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 05:23 OpticNerve

I kind of see it as a lose/lose situation for both id Software and Zenimax. Simply put, I really doubt that a Doom game that harkens back to the classic Doom 1 and 2 style of games would sell spectacularly in this era of gaming. At least not "Skyrim well."

There have been some FPS that have tried to mimic the fast-paced/mass-monster killing feeling of the older Doom games such as Painkiller and Serious Sam and those sold well enough but I don't think they were huge blockbusters. And if Zenimax does get their way and makes this into a "Call of Doom" type of FPS, fans of the old-school gameplay of Doom 1 and 2 are just going to absolutely hate it. The one time that id Software tried to do something "different" with a new ip, resulted in RAGE (no pun intended) and we all know how that turned out.

Either way, I think that id Software is pretty much fucked at this point. They really can't please anyone at all in their current situation.

But who knows. Maybe they'll pull a magic rabbit out of their hat and this new Doom 4 game'll be amazing and what id Software needed to keep them from this downward spiral of lackluster games.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2013, 05:33.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo