Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 15:16 jdreyer

Panickd wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:54:
Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:33:
Keep in mind this is from 2000. Tim was right, too. Making expensive, niche games isn't economically viable. This is why people stopped doing it. Now, 13 years later, we have ways for people to make inexpensive niche games, and niche games are rising rapidly.

Yes, and look where we are today. We have an industry awash in retreads and copies of copies of copies of what was, once upon a time, an innovative title (Epic is as guilty of this as anyone, it's their bread and butter these days) because that's what sells to the masses of humanity. I'm really not seeing those "cooler life forms" he talked about. It's become like the whole movie industry: there are Hollywood movies with tens of millions dollars worth of CGI effects in them that are sure to do hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office and then there are the smaller films that win tons of praise and lots of awards at film festivals (and the occasional Oscar) but will never really make anyone any real money. The difference is most people never hear about that second kind of movie unless one comes up for an Oscar but there aren't any Oscars in the gaming world.

It's true that the movie and game industries parallel each other closely these days. For every Michael Bay-style soulless blockbuster we get an equally soulless Call of Duty AAA game. Or you get indie darlings that play/watch great like Moon and FTL, but look like ass. So rare are movies and games where those two things come together like District 9 and Bioshock Infinite.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo