Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 27, 2013, 17:27 jdreyer

@ Beamer, regarding food, this is actually how I feel. For every $1000 spent advertising food, the government spends $1 promoting healthy eating ($10b vs. $10m annually). The influence of the food industry needs a counter. And people's individual choices aren't made in a vacuum. My health insurance is high BECAUSE so many people eat poorly and don't exercise (among other reasons). Price controls ARE a way of modifying behavior while still allowing choice. If potato chips are $6 per bag instead of $4, you're still able to buy them, but then the cost better reflects the costs to society when you contract obesity related illness (and don't think you won't. Potato chips are highly addictive).

The "free market" is actually anything but when there's no regulation. It results in monopolies and corruption and false advertising. No one wishes to go back to the days of snake oil salesmen, but without gov't intervention and laws, that's where we'd be.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo