Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 13:18 Creston

Hard vs Easy... For me it really depends on the game. If it's a game where there is a progression towards really achieving something, I tend to turn it to hard or activate restrictions, if possible, to make it more difficult, so that the achievement really feels like it meant something.

For example, I'm one of the people that grinded through the hardest difficulty on X2 (which starts you off with a ship with nothing in it, 5 tons of cargo space, and 50 credits), and suffered through the 30-40 minute flight times (since I had no time dilation device) between sectors and stations because once I finally built up my empire, it really felt cool to know that I began with nothing.

Also, with Anno 2070, on my way to building my ultimate Eden megalopolis, I deliberately started with 10K credits, then built/sold for loss enough times to get my money down to 1000 credits, and built from there. It just felt more cool that way. (to me anyway.)

However, if it's a game where there's no sense of achievement, and all I'm doing is playing it for the story, or just because I want to play through it once so I can scratch it off my list, then I'll just start it on normal. Dragon Age 2 was a good example. A lot of people said that Nightmare was a real challenge, and about the only way to make the combats "fun."

I sat through about three battles where invisible, teleporting rogues slaughtered my mages without me being able to do anything about it, and I dropped the combat back to normal, and every time a battle happened, I just sat for a few minutes, watched my guys slaughter everything on screen without too much difficulty, then continued the story.

And as for what that does to your "gamer cred", what the fuck ever.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo