Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

112. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2013, 17:09 Beamer

Anyway, I just googled the gun crime statistics that RollinThundr keeps mentioning. Some findings:
1) Mathematically, no real correlation between gun law rigidity (as defined by their Brady Score) and gun crime per capita. I excluded DC, which has no Brady Score.

2) Why do we keep mentioning Illinois? At 2.8 gun murders per capita it's ranked #21. It's ranked #28 for total murders. If I recall, it gets mentioned because of Chicago, and gun control measures are stricter there. Is that true? If so, how does that really impact anything? As if people who drive into Chicago suddenly care less about guns?

3) Louisiana has the highest gun murders per capita. 2nd highest murders. It's also the 43th lowest Brady Score. So only 7 states are more lax in gun control, yet none are higher in gun deaths.

4) Next is Missouri. #2 gun deaths per capita. #4 murder per capita. #35 most lax gun control laws

5) Ok, next is Maryland. They're #8 in Brady Score. They're also #6 for gun-free murder, higher than Missouri or Louisiana.

6) The next state in the top 10 for strictest gun laws is CA, which is #12 for gun deaths per capita. Then comes NJ at #20, NY at #23, CT at #24, MA at #31, and Hawaii at #48. Hawaii is #26 in murders without guns, which along with Vermont is ridiculously less than any other state proportionately (about 28% of murders in each state are gun murders. The national average is 61% and the median is 63%.)

Basically, I see no connection between gun control strictness and gun deaths per capita. There really doesn't seem to be a way to argue that gun control laws have had an impact one way or the other in the US.
Which, truthfully, is what seems most right. Banning guns in one place doesn't magically make people less interested in guns. We are a very gun focused nation. NJ saying "hey, use less guns" won't really have an impact when people move in from out of state, watch TV shows that are written by people out of state and are filmed out of state, listen to music from people out of state, etc.
Glorifying guns and gun deaths as a country won't really change what happens in a state. It's not like these are isolated islands. Well, except for Hawaii, where it seems to have worked pretty well.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo