Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

51. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2013, 01:00 Crustacean Soup

Jivaro wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 00:37:
As for atheists considering me one of them...well...that is their prerogative I suppose. By the definition of the terms however I am not one and the definition is the only thing I can go by. Atheism is not flexible, it is what it is. To me it seems pretty clear cut based on the fact that if I look in 3 different dictionaries I get the same definition.

My three dictionaries disagree. Merriam Webster's website says
ATHEISM
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Dictionary.com (Randomhouse) and oxforddictionaries.com (Oxford University Press) include equivalent definitions.

In any case, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. You're sitting here arguing that "atheists" have faith in something and are acting fanatical and this and that using dictionary definitions instead of their own words. That doesn't work. English isn't something like a computer language, it's a natural language.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo