Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 02:26 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 20:31:
Flatline, you seem to recall the story relatively well except for one major point of your complaining. He was beating himself up because he failed to protect those that he was hired to protect, just like he was incapable of protecting his family...DESPITE being a bad-ass (as we see him). He partially blames being drunk on the job for his failures, quits drinking...then with a clearer head starts to over-analyze his faults. He does not see himself as a bad-ass that can take on dozens of gunman, when the outcome is he fails to protect those he is supposed to and lives himself.

Yeah but it broke the themes of MP 1 & 2, and for the worse I thought.

Max wasn't a particularly sympathetic protagonist in this game, and while I'm fine with that, alienating him from the gamer by whining and being constantly emo isn't the way to do it in my book.

For a game that's supposed to be film noir, it missed a lot of the subtlety that makes noir compelling. It's you sat someone down and exposed them to film noir via homage skits, and then had them write an entire noir story down from their MTV 90 second bite comprehension.

If I was going to rewrite this, I'd probably keep Sao Paulo, that's fine, and make it a story that starts with Max trying to protect the family, failing pretty much, and going full dark/demon. Play a strong female lead off of that to derail him from his epic self destruction/murder spree, and make the bad guy fully aware of Max's "talents", intending to use them to clean up Sau Paulo's seedier areas and using Max as the battering ram to start the process so that he can gain more political power.

At that point I don't even care about the ending, there's multiple satisfying ways for the game to end, from Max dying to his getting derailed from his revenge to killing everyone and then going after the BBEG for putting the original family in harm's way... whatever...

Edit: I'd actually contemplate leaving Max a bad guy at the end of this. Call it Max Payne 3: The corruption of Max Payne, with the 4th game having max play it straight heel and rising quickly through the ranks of the criminality he has come to accept in his nihilistic point of view. The Max Payne 5: Breaking the Cycle deals with Max's redemption, either ending in his death or something else dramatically appropriate.

Then you call the entire series The Payne Cycle and do game magazine interviews for the next 20 years.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo