Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

15. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:30 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:08:
Techie714 wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:26:
I enjoyed MP3 thought it was a good game. I know some thought the game was lacking.

It's not so much that it was lacking. Lengthwise it was pretty good, the story was decent, the action is balls-to-the-walls Max Payne, and it's a genuinely difficult game, especially at Hard.

It's just that the game NEVER.EVER.EVER.STOPS interrupting you every 10 seconds with a fucking cutscene. Empty hallway? Cutscene of Max walking through the empty hallway. Door? Cutscene of Max opening the door. Group of baddies in a room? Cutscene of Max WALKING INTO THE FUCKING ROOM with his dick out and going "HIYA FELLAS! WHY YOU SHOOT AT MAX?!"

Ugh. I hate games that take away your control constantly. At one point you're in this bar in this shitty favela, talking to some dude, and you see four bad guys come in.

Cutscene unfolds of Max trying his best to make the bad guys leave him alone, which, surprise surprise, doesn't work. Queue you being given control while a baddie with a sawed-off shotgun fires at you. You have approximately 0.5 seconds to initiate a shootdodge or you're dead. And even then you're in bad shit because it's a small bar and the bad guys don't fuck around.

Why couldn't this simply unfold in-game? So if I want to see the 'cutscene', it acts out in-game, but at any one point I can choose to just open fire. Because I would have opened fire the second those bad guys walked in the door.

NOOOOPE.

Fuck. I tried to replay it a few months ago, stopped after about half an hour and my 30th cutscene.

It's a good GAME, when it allows you to play it. Sadly, that's only for about 20% of the entire time you'll spend in it.

Creston

That's totally because of the console port limitations. Those levels are about as big as modern consoles can support.

My problem is that this isn't Max Payne, it's Die Hard without the humor, and the writers truly didn't get Max.

About a third of the way through the game I was fucking done with hearing his self-loathing bullshit, talking about how he's some fat old drunk with no game, and then the cutscene would end and I'd fucking take on 20 paramilitary guys without taking a scratch in a ballet of death, and the next cutscene he's moaning his fucking ass off about how pathetic he is again. Total disconnect of game from story.

I was waiting for the game to get all Man on Fire and have Max accept that he is a fucking demon. For two games Max had been more or less denying his fate/nature, and it's that almost as much as his family that leads him to his drinking and downward spiral. He realizes on another level that he's doing shit he never really should be doing, but does it anyway because there's nothing else to do. But in MP3, that all goes out the window when it could have been a beautiful crystallization of Max finally selling his soul to the devil as it were because good people needed him to be a bad man. But it never happens. The inch-thick layer of self pity never lets Max be Max.

The plot was also insanely complicated to the point of only being understandable moment to moment. The overall plot I guess is

Spoiler:
The brother wants the other brother's money, so he can run for some government office, and is involved in organ traffiking, and... other shit. It's all kind of a smear.

Compared to taking down a government backed drug cartel in the first game and the fucking Illuminati in the second game, this story, while "grittier", is kind of a letdown.

The action though was great, the gunplay a lot of fun, and aside from the boring-as-fuck favala/paramilitary slum levels were interestingly designed and pleasing to move through.

As a 3rd person shooter it's good stuff, as a Max Payne game... it's just... not there. Rockstar made Die Hard: Brazil, and not MP.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo