Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

97. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 11:03 NewMaxx

deqer wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 01:38:
Haven't you been reading? It's all about the publishers now. Game dev now a days have publishers in the mix, and business models for making money.

It's the same in any content creation business. Movies? Production studios. Which have the MPAA while the actors have SAG. Music? Labels, and they have the RIAA. Print industry is basically run by the publishers, and you had Google step in as a sort of pseudo-RIAA. These are capitalistic trappings for industries that used to be either government-sponsored (largely monarchs and their cabinets, rarely parliaments) or paid by private individuals (like classical music, arts of the Renaissance, etc.).

Yet part of that Enlightenment-inspired capitalism also pushed for individuals to produce, like the pamphlets of Thomas Paine and revolutionaries in France and over Europe. That's more consistent with how the game industry began, as the games were made by individuals who usually put their own money up. However, this profit over time meant attention to the industry and encouraged investment, and that leads back to the East India Company style roots.

So then you have progressives pushing for unions so the workers get equal rights, and trade unions to protect specific industries and sub-industries. If you're following me so far you'll see my mini history lesson is intended to illustrate that a relatively new artistic industry like video game design must go through these growing pains. So, where's the developer groups, the programmer unions?

Simple - they're the content distribution centers. Apple, Google, and Valve will take the lead in this. Crowdfunding will take over for the publishers and enable the developers to form their own indie unions/agreements. EA will be unable to produce like all other developers (we see them dying on a daily basis, and the console industry is clearly collapsing) and will just become Origin, much like dinosaurs are today's birds.

That accounts for both the mobile and PC markets; even consoles get more play out of their "arcades" and a few exclusives than they do anything else. The AAA's will remain, don't get me wrong, but they'll be like blockbuster movies with advertising tie-ins and back-patting, but at the end of the day very few will be taken seriously beyond the year of their creation.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo