Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

37. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 16:48 Beelzebud

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 13:23:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 12:50:
It seems like just yesterday we were being told that isometric turn-based RPGs were dead, and Fallout MUST be a first person shooter.

I wish the kickstarter phenomena had happened before that incident.

Well, to the big publishers, they ARE dead, and are still dead. Anything less than multi-million copy sellers are pretty much dead to them. (as a side note Fallout 3 wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it became without beth making it as a FPS)

Fortunately, we are now getting other alternatives like wasteland 2.

Thats one of the best things about KS. Not that they are replacing publishers (although I wouldn't care if they did), but that they are allowing a lot of projects that have a lower level of demand than multi-million copies get made. Projects that publishers sneer at and pass up, yet there IS demand out there for them. Thousands or a few millions of dollars of demand. Demand that can now find an outlet.

Yeah they're so dead to big publishers that Firaxis had a hit with one at the end of last year. A little game called X-Com. The idea that gamers don't want to play this style of game is an assertion that needs to die, as it has been shown to be false over and over again. It's as silly as the notion that "PC gaming is dead", that many industry insiders were telling everyone just 2 years ago.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo