Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:42 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

RG is a nice guy, but that has little to do with funding his endeavors. I don't know that anyone is hating, I think it's legitimate question to ask "You can easily afford to publish this yourself. Why do you need Kickstarter money?"

Of course, the beauty of the Kickstarter system is that if you feel his project shouldn't be on Kickstarter, you simply don't give to it. And if others feel he's perfectly entitled to ask for money on Kickstarter, they can show that by giving him money.

As for U8 and U9, U8 really wasn't as bad as people later made it out to be. It was terrible at the start because of the idiotic jumping puzzles, because you had no control over the length of your jump. The Avatar always jumped a set distance, and many of the puzzles weren't calibrated for that distance, which made them a fucking nightmare to deal with.

Fortunately, back then Origin still listened to their fans, so when several of them (me included) suggested they change the system to one where you mouse-aim-and-click to jump, they implemented that in a later patch.

The world itself was pretty cool, the graphics were beautiful for their time, the animation was great, the story was intriguing, and the magic systems were incredible. Which other RPG ever included four separate magic systems that worked so well?

Once Origin spent an hour on a US-Holland international call to help me get the game to actually run, I thoroughly enjoyed playing U8 (though weirdly, I never replayed it.)

Now U9 was fucking terrible, but as I've said before, that's what happens when EA puts the producer of Command & Conquer in charge of an Ultima RPG. And really, Origin was well on its way to death by that point. I don't even know if they'd have survived had U9 been the best of all Ultimas ever made.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo