Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

67. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 09:17 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:00:
No they didn't, that's misrepresenting what they said.

"That is just a performance decision," Quigley told IncGamers. "Given that was the performance constraint we decided to work under, we built a larger region environment and a bunch of the multiplay to work with 2km cities. At some point in the future, especially with mainstream computers become more capable, we could certainly make the city sizes larger."

He said that as a mainstream game, it needs to run on "your dad's PC" as well as yours. But as PCs get more capable, he claims the update will come at some point. "We'll eventually get around to expanding the city size but I canít make any promises as to when."

Not the same as holding it back as a feature.

Doesn't the fact that the game was required to utilize network servers contradict their own statement as you have quoted it? They say they didn't build in bigger cities because current computers weren't powerful enough--then they add that they built the game to run on "Dad's PC". EA ships plenty of games that won't run well on "Dad's PC" *and* that run locally, so if this EA game consumes that much in the way of resources in order to run, then it will quickly clog up and destroy the network that's attempting to run critical parts of the game. Unless EA is using "Dad's PC" for their servers then this statement makes little sense at all. The power of the local computer is not an issue here. The power of EA's network is the issue. Very poor game design, very poor.

It really makes no sense at all for EA to make a game dependent on a network to help run parts of the game--and then talk about the constraints of "Dad's" local computer to explain why they didn't build in bigger cities. The bottleneck here is the network, not the local computers the game is running on.

If EA was really aiming for "Dad's PC" then the game should have been strictly 2d, and the networking model should have been dropped (What if "Dad" is still on dial up?) EA is surely talking out of both sides of its mouth here.

IMO, EA was simply trying to do a Diablo III with this game. They are getting what they deserve for worrying more about piracy than about the quality of their game for paying customers. EA has its priorities exactly backwards.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo