Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 21:31 Trevellian

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:39:
I've speculated on pricing here a ton, and I'm 100% certain the publishers are investigating it.

But not just high. Don't get me wrong, Call of Duty will always come in high. $59.99? Sure. $69.99? Why not.

Other games, though? They know damn well they can't sustain that. And they know damn well that there's a sweet spot. There are some issues:
1) Games will always sell a ton their first week, even if the price is high. It's hard to walk away from that
2) Games will always sell a ton when prices drop. Does a game on Steam sell better when it's released at $4.99 or when it's released at $9.99 then cut to $4.99 for two weeks every two months?

I'm guessing that last part is the big problem. Games hit at $59.99. They then go on sale from time to time. They then get price drops. They go on sale a few more times. Then prices drop again.

If the massive failure of JC Penny proves anything, it's that most people are motivated not by everyday low prices but by getting a bargain, especially a time-sensitive bargain that's act-now or lose.

Steam probably generates 30% of its annual revenue during the Christmas sale. Maybe more. Starting with a lower priced product instead of a higher one you regularly and quickly reduce probably wouldn't work as well.

I have to say 49.99 is the sweet spot. I will admit, even though it's only a 10 dollar difference, if a game I want comes out at 50 bucks instead of 60, I won't even bat an eye when it comes to purchasing it.

I used to buy far more games during the Xbox/PS2 generation because they were 50 dollars.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo