Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2013, 02:08 Jerykk

There are ways to balance games without resorting to level scaling. Removing health and mana regen, reducing the sneak crit damage bonus, nerfing the insane race-specific resistances, slowing down the leveling rate, nerfing the overpowered skills (Alchemy, Smithing and Enchanting), requiring certain attribute/skill levels in order to use different spells and weapons, making the AI smarter, reducing the rate and amount of health and mana that potions regenerate, etc.

I'm using mods for some of the above and Skyrim is giving my a pretty decent challenge at max difficulty. I've built my character as a sneaky archer thief and if I get hit, a fairly significant portion of my health bar disappears. I made sure to avoid choosing a race that has any kind of innate magic resistance too, so I actually have to rely on potions and enchantments if I want to survive against mages. Also, I don't grind. I only craft stuff that I intend to use and only trade and fight when necessary. The inherent problem with usage-based leveling systems is that they are incredibly easy to exploit and most people will do so without second thought. Then they complain when their character is maxed out and the game is too easy.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo