Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 22, 2013, 01:08 Creston

Ant wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 00:49:
Viper220 wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 00:35:
Those saying you don't care about UGO closing down probably no idea that Blue's News used to be part of UGO. Without UGO providing initial advertising revenue in the early days who knows if Blue's would be the site it is today. At one time UGO was the largest gaming network on the Internet, with dozens of sites like Daily Radar, Blue's, Shack News, GamePen, Dave's Classics, etc. For those of us who lived through the dot com heyday, this is big (and sad) news.
Ditto. How does BN live these days without UGO?

Blue stopped using UGO because their ads could never be trusted, and as such most people used adblock when visiting here, thus denying him any revenue.

Now that he has more control over the ads, most of the regulars have whitelisted blues, so that he gets more revenue.

(If I'm off in this, Blue, please correct me.)

As for the news, that's just really fucking weird. IGN is their "flagship?" Holy shit, those other sites must have been absolutely fucking TERRIBLE then.

Anyway, I don't read any of them (1UP used to be good, but they went downhill pretty rapidly a few years ago), so whatever. Fuck Ziff Davis. They're the fucking prototype of the Pay me for whatever review score you like! shitsacks that invest the "gaming media." I hope IGN follows suit quickly.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo