Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

78. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 22:40 ChandlerL

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 04:04:
First, it's called a representative sample, and it's the largest one we've got. That's how data is collected and analyzed, regardless of what the subject matter is, because it's impossible to collect information from every single person on Earth. Second, supporting 64-bit does NOT exclude 32-bit support... Every game you listed as an example does both.

You said the reason we don't see more 64-bit games is because of the install base of 32-bit operating systems, and I pointed to counter-evidence that most gamers are on a 64-bit OS now. It's not a matter of "if what I said is true," because those are facts. Ergo, the reason we don't have more 64-bit games has to do with something else. Laziness, maybe, or the fact that a sizable chunk of gamers still have 4GB or less of RAM, so 64-bit support wouldn't do anything for them.

Look, I think you and I are agreeing on most things here except for whether Steam is a representative sample of gamers at large. Marc Rein doesn't think so. Neither do the boys over at Activision. Not sure what the other majors think but if I see them at PAX E, I will ask them-- so that's our sticking point here. Nothing's being dismissed but the perception of these guys is what it is. Steam info is readily available to all, yet they don't agree with the numbers Steam is presenting them as representative of their gamers.

The second part you mentioned is perhaps it's because of folks with <4 GB RAM. If I'm to use the Steam numbers as a slice, however, most people have >4 GB RAM-- according to Steam.

At any rate, sounds like we agree on everything except that. Perhaps the big devs out there will come around to the Steam data, and move things forward. Perhaps the 64bit consoles will drag them kicking and screaming to 64-bit PC as well since re-doing it for the lower memory footprint of a 32-bit PC release may present obstacles that impact ROI enough to warrant some market alienation.

Time will tell, mate.

Good conversation, though jacobvandy, keep it comin'. This kind of information gathering from gamers is one of the more enjoyable parts of my job.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 23:22.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo