Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

70. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 08:52 Verno

Styrbjorn wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 08:40:
I'm curious if the 8 cores of the PS4 are powerful enough to properly emulate the 1+7 core cell processor of the PS3. Not a given since emulation incurs large performance losses. But since the core counts line up... maybe. And if so, if it would ever be implemented. Backwards compatibility would make it a day one purchase for me.

The AMD processor they're using wouldn't be anywhere near powerful enough, some guy was hacking on a very basic emulator and said it would be a 50:1 CPU power factor and that we might not see a proper emulator for a decade. They will be using some form of Cell SoC to facilitate the streaming of PS3 games I imagine. The PS4 will just be running a streaming client for those basically.

I am disappointed in lack of BC but if it can help make the price more palatable and they have good launch games then I don't think it'll be a hard sell.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo