Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Re: Op Ed Feb 19, 2013, 20:12 Beamer

Jivaro wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 18:53:
It's simple ergonomics and technology.

In order to use a mouse, you need a good mousing surface. A soft, cushy, fluffy couch does not work well. You could put something on it, but in most cases you're mousing either down by your ass, if you put it on the cushion, or slightly higher, if you put it on the armrest. In both cases your wrist is at a terrible angle, and in the armrest case you likely have too little space.

The solution is to buy one of those tables that comes up, or a couch desk. Both are big and ugly.

Beamer, that is just ridiculous. I have a very comfortable setup that isn't big, ugly, awkward, or any less ergonomic then my office desk. In addition to that I have a fantastic oak coffee table with a glass top that stores all of my electronics. I am going to go ahead and assume, based on what you just said, that you haven't spent much more then a few minutes shopping around for modern living room furniture or accessories anytime in the last decade. The "ergonomic" frenzy, combined with a rigorous mainstream interest in working from home, that has been going on for the last 20 years is responsible for me being able to use a keyboard and mouse in my living room. The concept that somehow I am limited to big, awkward, and ugly options is...uninformed. My wife wouldn't let me have it in the living room, let alone actually use it with guests present, if it was some big and ugly thing.

My point was that most people simply don't take the time or spend the money to find out whether an alternative option would be better for their usage. The concept that somehow they shouldn't bother because it's all just awkward and big is ridiculous. The options are out there. There has been a growing market focused on it for some time and lapdesks aren't even scratching the surface as to all the possibilities. I do own a small lapdesk or two because it allows me to use it with my toddler grandchildren and their games, but that is something else all together. One of my buddies, who has no children, has this positively futuristic coffee table and reclining chair that straight up transforms from classy & traditional to a gaming cockpit of awesomeness.

Every friend or family member that comes to my place asks me about my setup as if I must either be rich or some kind of engineer. (and they know I am neither) Most of them don't game like I do, but the few that do have all gone and bought similar setups when they find out how easy and cheap it can actually be.

Have you really tried to use a mouse down by your ass? Seriously? lol...

So you mouse on a coffee table? Is it one of those ones that stretches up, or are you hunched over?

You realize a lot of gamers don't have the luxury of buying something just for gaming? Maybe they're married and the wife picked out the coffeee table.

You mention right there - time and money. No, many people have neither. More than those that want to use a mouse.

Listen: if you want to use a mouse fine. You can use your PC. You can hook a PC up to your TV. But don't expect it with consoles. You will be in the minority, and you will ruin the balance.

I don't get why this is so damned hard for you guys. You're all the absolute first to push and shove your way to the "OMG CONSOLES ARE DUMBED DOWN I CAN KICK ANYONE WITH A CONTROLLERS' ASS SO EASILY!" Yeah, this is true. Accept it. That's why you can't use it. No one wants you to ruin the curve, so to speak. This is why smart kids are encouraged to go to Harvard, not Community College. Yeah, the As may be far easier to get, but you ruin it for everyone else.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo