Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Op Ed Feb 19, 2013, 16:22 WyldKat

I feel like Ars Technica isn't doing a fair comparison. Yes, when you compare the console sales of a game meant for consoles to the PC sales you'll see a huge difference, but the PC crowd has never taken kindly to ports, even if they are handled well which I am told the CoD ones are.

Take a look at Counter-Strike and the spinoff, Team Fortress 2, ARMA 2/Operation Arrowhead and its mods (Invasion 1944, ACE, Wasteland, DayZ, etc), not to mention all of the various Source and CryEngine mods out there. These games maintain a very high concurrent population to this day despite being old games. They also play to the PCs advantages, namely mod support, truly independent dedicated servers, and in ARMA's case, massively large maps with high population caps and all types of vehicle support.

So yes you compare the sales of a console game on the PC and on consoles and the console will always win, but the PC has always been about delivering a richer experience. Be that with mods, or huge maps with loads of players (Planetside 2 also comes to mind), or the complexity of the game.

If the mouse and keyboard were dead, the concurrent population numbers of these games would reflect it, but it isn't and they aren't.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo