Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 15:03 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 12:51:
swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 12:11:
office 2013 will be locked to a single machine? I don't think that will hold up to any push back whatsoever. Have to wait for updates? so MS wants to create an extra threat vector? if half its users don't go for the 365 version are they still going to treat 2013 users as second class? these possible warnings about office 2013 are all based on the assumption that 95% of the users will switch to a subscription model... We want to make things worse for you but better for us so won't you help make that happen by believing our FUD?

Their pricing heavily pushes people towards the online version.
I have no clue why they'd also make policy go towards it, too. Seems... heavy handed, stupid, etc.

Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. Really damn stupid.

Why is this stupid? It's the natural evolution of this business model. Once you have market dominance, lock the users into your products and monetize heavily. Count on inertia to prevent defections. It's intelligent business practice, and what any smart business would do to maximize its profits.</Beamer voice>

Actually, I agree with you. It IS stupid and heavy-handed. I assume they have some indications that this move will not change their business markets enough to cause mass defections to other software. I hope they're wrong. Every great defeat starts with a miscalculation on the side of the defeated.

Now... how did you get Beamer's password? He's gonna be pissed when he finds out you've been posting anti-corporate opinions under his alias...

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo