Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

7. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 22:54 LittleMe

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 21:59:
The standalone product's engine won't satisfy players. People who have come to BI's engine thanks to DayZ probably expect some huge improvements to the engine for the standalone, but they don't realise that when BI say they're going to make improvements it's all very understated.

If it's lucky it'll feature ported features from VBS, but that's about it. BI have supported their products wonderfully over the years. The problem is most of that support is band aiding and tiny incremental improvements of the dated engine.

They need to throw out all of the code related to animation and player movement and start over. Keep the player's view attached to the head, independent of the gun (unlike every other FPS) but quit relying on the peculiar movement system where animations cannot be paused once they're initiated. Will BI discard something that has been present in their engine since the late 1990s? No. By now it's probably reams of uncommented mess that no one could even begin to unravel or correct.

I agree with with what you say there, especially the first two paragraphs. But I think they will and indeed are starting to throw out the old clunky code for animations, etc that's burdened us for so long. Maybe for DayZ II they will make an entirely new engine but I'm guessing that's only if sales are very good.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo