Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 21:54 Cutter

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 18:34:
I've always said they are wasting money searching for extrasolar planets that we will more then likely never ever be able to actually visit when we should be mapping out our own system. This isnt about funding in general, but on what they are spending the funding they already have. Messed up priorities IMO, hey I think it's really cool too that they are finding planets around other stars, but it's trivia with zero benefits or applications in our world.

There are many benefits to astrophysics and we've learned a ton from it so it's not been money that's been wasted. Much as I'm opposed to space travel - which I consider a waste for a multitude of reasons - I wouldn't say that astrophysics or astronomy is a waste by any measure. Hell we wouldn't have satellites and the energy infrastructure we have today without it. The academic research is worth it. Observatories simply for near earth or middle earth objects? No.

Here's just one salient example of why it isn't a waste....A fascinatingly disturbing thought

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo