Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

18. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Patched Feb 15, 2013, 18:36 peteham

Watter wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 16:10:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 15:51:
I never liked the Desmond stuff. I'm too much of a nerd to get past the idea that they have a machine that lets you perfectly remember and experience what your ancestor had for supper on a Tuesday centuries ago. Blah blah suspension of disbelief yada yada. Its wrong!
I'm totally in that camp as well. I'd have been happier with the series if the Desmond aspect was completely gone. I think it might have even been more compelling to have progressively built up the history and mystery of the templar and assassin factions as the series progress through the ages rather than starting with the contemporary time as they did.
Heh I'm more or less the opposite of that. There were times during Brotherhood and Revelations in particular, where I really wanted to get on with the "now" story rather than going back in the Animus. Sadly, Desmond's screentime wasn't that well handled, and the missions in AC3 were a joke. The Desmond-bits I enjoyed the most through the whole series were really the conversations in AC1, and running around empty Monteriggioni at night in AC2 and Brotherhood. Great atmosphere and music..

As for my ordering of the games, it goes something like this:

AC2
AC2: Brotherhood
AC2: Revelations
AC1
AC3

I know I can't really objectively defend AC3's position behind AC1 there, but yeah, it really felt regressive. The entire game has a certain feel of being made by different ubisoft branches, then crudely stitched together in the name of boxticking. Boxticking also describes the overall gameplay. There is so much filler and so little actual content, it's ridiculous. In many ways it feels like a return to the investigation missions you had to undertake in AC1 before you could go on with the story. But at least AC1 had the benefit of being new, as well as reasonably innovative/fresh when it first came out, even though it fell far short of its potential and original vision. Does anyone remember the early AC1 trailers, that made a big deal about how you could distract guards by throwing a corpse into the street etc? That whole part of the game seems to have disappeared more and more with every game, to the point where in AC3, I just walked through the front door and killed everything, pressing counterattack to win all the way... It didn't help that any time you tried to be sneaky, move around a road block or whatever, the game would slap you in the face with an invisible wall (RETURN TO MISSION AREA!!!!) or STAY IN RANGE OF TARGET!!11 or CONNOR DIDN'T KILL LIVESTOCK. Gah.

Speaking of Connor, he has to be the most boring main characters ever. Whether that's the fault of the writers or the voice actor, I'm not entirely sure. Collaborative effort, perhaps. And as far as the ending goes, it was every bit as lame as Mass Effect's. The only reason one created an uproar and the other didn't, is that at least in AC's case, there was never the expectation of being able to affect anything.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo