Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

29. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 07:15 TheVocalMinority

Wikidd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 16:36:
Panickd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:48:
I'm going to need a link to back that up because that sounds like pretty much the polar opposite of what Stallman stands for and pretty much anything he's ever said.

That just goes to show how little you know about Stallman. He's long espoused a three tier form of copyright; he only thinks "tools" should be totally free. He's always been quite happy for entertainment to enjoy much stronger protection, except with much reduced terms.

Here's a speech from almost 11 years ago where he outlines his ideal copyright system: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/copyright-and-globalization.html

Here's his view on Steam for Linux: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

As you can see, he thinks Steam is a bad thing but he'd rather people used non-free software on a free operating system than non-free software on a non-free OS. That's been his view on people using non-free applications since forever.

At times it feels like RMS is as misrepresented as Marx.

Where does this stuff come from? When there was a discussion about Stallman after the article at the second link above was covered here there was an attempt to paint Stallman as a kooky fringe element in the free software movement. This time we have an attempt to misrepresent Stallmans views (whilst claiming others are misrepresenting them, which is cute). That first link does not support the assertion that Stallman believes it is only the tools that should be free, which is complete nonsense. The speech isn't even about free software, it is about copy-write, and as far as I could tell on a quick scan pretty much in line with the view of the Pirate Parties (i.e. limited copy-write protection from commercial reproduction).

Again, nice try...

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo