Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Re: etc., etc. Feb 14, 2013, 07:29 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 06:22:
Legal repercussions? Bait and switch? Class action suit to come?!

No, because they never said that was the final product.

In fact, the videos released in the two weeks before launch showed exactly what we got, didn't they? The ones that were mercilessly laughed at? They didn't show extended footage, but enough so everyone knew what they were getting.

I mean, what are the damages. You, Cutter, had none. You thought the game would suck from the beginning (and you were right), and you spent no money on it. Other people bought it, but there was actual gameplay footage out before they did. Plenty of it. On this board we've had people say you'd have to be stupid to buy this - weeks ago. From there you can probably assume a reasonable person saw this coming.

And courts would never punish a company for showing a prototype. Car companies would be out of business if that happened. E3 would disappear, too. Companies would only show final versions of games, meaning we'd see nothing until release. People already bitch about no HL3 anything, but that would legally become the norm.

And where do you cut it? I'd argue that crappier graphics are less meaningful than losing features. Valve, though, are some of the kings of lost features. We barely saw any HL2 footage before release but we still saw features that got cut. And before HL Gabe made a huge deal about how it was a living, thriving world with flora and fauna. There was none of that. He said bodies didn't disappear, instead cockroaches ate them. I remember cockroaches, but they certainly didn't eat bodies (which disappeared.) Did anyone sue Valve?

Suing a company for showing a prototype whose features, including graphical features, got cut is worse than suing Drive for not being as Fast or Furious as the ads made it seem.

Which, again, doesn't excuse Randy. Gearbox fucked this up and Gearbox destroyed the trust they built with their fanbase. It should be years before anyone trusts anything they say. Years.
But there's no legal repricussion here. What would the standard be? Laws are about standards that can be applied to all, and I can't write a way to punish Gearbox for this that wouldn't stop every single other developer from ever showing prerelease footage.

But man oh man, I cannot wait for Kickstarter games to start coming out. I can't wait for people to realize that the aspirational graphics they saw are not nearly what they got. Can't wait for them to see that the features they were promised weren't there, or the stretch goals are there but totally unrealized.
Because this is going to happen. Not for the big ones, FTL was pretty much done, Wasteland looks awesome, but for some of the smaller ones? The early ones we backed because it seemed awesome and we were less critical then than we are now? We're going to get burned so much worse than anyone did here. I also think people are fairly aware of this now and much smarter about what they Kickstart.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2013, 08:14.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo