Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2013, 01:20 PropheT

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 22:33:
The conceit of many video games these days is that you can get away with bad writing and preposterous narrative choices simply because itís a game.
As opposed to what? the old days? Yeah, Pong had such a twist at the end, didn't see it coming.

Games are meant to be fun, first and foremost. Part of this includes having a ridiculous storyline that is over the top and enjoyable through humour.

Want deep?, go watch an Opera. Otherwise, SUCK IT DOWN!

As opposed to the old days where story wasn't really a consideration and generally wasn't even included. Games these days HAVE a story, it's just more often than not a good one with any real work or consideration put into it.

Games are meant to be fun, but so are movies. They don't have to be ridiculous and over the top to be fun any more than every movie needs to be a B-movie to be enjoyable. Fun for me tends to require that I get involved into the goings-on of the game as much as enjoying its unique method of pressing buttons to receive rewards; after 30+ years of gaming with no dramatic change outside of graphics, it's rare that anything feels all the special or new unless there's a story to get wrapped up in in the process.

I know not everyone is that way, but there's different games for different people. The one constant seems to be exactly what they're talking about in this article, at least in one respect, in that even the best games have a story that's "good for games" and very few that hold up on their own in any way.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo