Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:33 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 22:40:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:50:
But then they did Demigod and Space Siege and that was all she wrote.

What was wrong with Demigod? I thought it was pretty decent.

Besides, didn't they get something like $500k on the kickstarter before it was canceled? That isn't exactly something to sneeze at, I just think their expectation of $1.1m was a little unreasonable. I mean, Child's Play raised $5 million last year; they were asking for a solid 20% of what helping little kids with cancer was able to raise from gamers last year, and then they're upset that it didn't happen. The thing about successful kickstarters so far is that they didn't shoot for $1.1 million, they shot for something real and then were ecstatic when the results shot to that unreal point.

Well, I think he started off too optimistically. He saw project Eternity make $4m after setting a goal of 1.1, and thought he might be able to replicate part of that. Thing is, Project Eternity made all that money on the nostalgia of gamers wanting an old-school party-based RPG, and exploded with the involvement of Obsidian and Chris Avellone. Chris Taylor would have made his funding goal if he had played on nostalgia too. Planetary Annihilation made $2.2m after all. But there's no nostalgia for Wildman.

Chris could have made $1.1 easily for Kings and Castles, maybe even $2m, but he claims it will cost $5m to finish it, so that was out of the question. SupCom 1 & 2 cost about $10m each to make, so I don't doubt his estimates. Hindsight is always 20/20, but if he could have funded K & C for $1.1, and gotten other publishers to pitch in cash if he made his goal (since the successful KS would have shown how much interest there was), maybe that would have put GPG on track. I dunno. I just think he could have gotten a lot more interest in a KS that played off the goodwill that exists toward his beloved franchises instead of something that he'd never done before.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo