Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 17:07 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 12:06:
I was watching the 'Fleet Battle' from the third game, when they all go after the Reaper fleet after jumping in-system and when they cut to the fighter pilot getting ready to engage, I thought that this would be an awesome game on it's own! I would love to fly a fighter in a massive fleet battle with these kinds of pyrotechnics and immersion and with the ME's story background, it would have plenty of stuff to add in. Maybe start out sometime during the middle of the second game and run concurrent to ME2/3's story with Shepard, but telling it from a different angle and explaining how other parts of the military got ready for the fight. It's kind of the same thing I thought about when they included some space dogfighting in HALO: Reach, it would be wonderful on it's own and fleshed out with it's own story amidst the larger conflict... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

We don't need Mass Effect though for a kickass space combat sim. We just need someone to make a kickass space combat sim. I'd be perfectly happy with an original IP.

And once you get into development, I think you'd encounter issues with an ME space combat sim. You'd have like... two weapons. Your rapid fire mass accelerator, and your heavy mass accelerator. No space superiority fighters, interceptors, bombers, or variants among loadouts and or much of anything interesting. Fighters actually seem like they're an inefficient solution in the ME universe. Corvettes seem like they'd be the best starting point- large EZ0 reactors for powering the mass effect fields necessary to launch heavy ordinance or maintain rapid fire. The mass effect field makes maneuverability a null issue- the closer you crank down the effective mass of an object, the more effect you see from thrust. At effectively zero mass, maneuverability becomes infinite from a thruster standpoint.

With that kind of maneuverability and firepower, you'd need insanely powerful computers (not necessarily AI) to pick the most statistically probable firing solutions and saturate them with fire, as well as evasion computers who are trying to calculate evasion patterns that are hard to predict. Not to mention once these slugs leave the mass effect field they're subject to plain old relativity now, which makes time dilation *really* fucking complicated.

Taken to it's logical ends, I don't see fighters... or even frankly organics, taking part in space-based battles. The organics strap into G-force webbing/cocoons and wait for the central computer to finish the fight.

Which, oddly enough, is how space combat works in the book Forever War by Haldeman. Definitely worth reading.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo