Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

2. Video Card Help Feb 6, 2013, 22:57 jimnms

What are the chances of people checking and responding to this so late. My video card just crapped out on me. I was out of town yesterday, but played games all weekend just fine. I get home this afternoon (5 hours ago), turn on my system, check email, Blues, get sucked into a few YouTube videos, then my screen gets garbled and the system reboots.

The BIOS POST screen, and BIOS itself looks fine, but then it gets to the Windows recovery screen to select how you want to start Windows after the crash and the video has lines and artifacts all over the place. I select to start Windows normally, but before it gets to the log on screen, it goes black and resets again.

I managed to get to safe mode, checked logs, nothing except the BSOD error which is:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000006f8,
0xfffff800034c0e1b)

*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80003495fc0 base at 0xfffff80003417000 DateStamp
0x503f82be

Anyway, to make a long story short (too late?), I pulled the card and went through general troubleshooting for an hour or so before finally ripping an old GTX 260 out of my old system. I put the old card in and it boots up, detects it, tells me to reboot and all is well, so that tells me that the card is toast.

So, what's good in the GPU department these days? I just had a quick look at prices and it seems the GTX 660 is in the butter zone (~$220-250).

Steam Profile

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo