Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 20:54 atomicfro

I was going to post exactly that. You could buy the Loki port of Quake 3 in a fancy tin which was linux only (I actually bought this) and counted as a linux sale, or you could buy the windows version which was not in a fancy tin and would obviously install on windows and you could download the linux installer off their ftp site, which counted as a windows sale. I even believe they started using the tins for the windows version later on as well. There was never a windows installer for the Linux version.

I may be remembering wrong, but Quake 3's expansion, Team Arena, only had a windows version. I was able to install it on Linux on my own, but there was no installer or Linux retail box so, again it would have been counted as a Windows sale.

So in short, there was practical incentive to buy the windows version over the Linux version, even if you bought it because of the Linux version, which would only count as windows sales.

Also, I take issue with a comment up above that said Linux was more niche than it is now. I would say this is not true. In 1999 you could go into any Electronics Boutique and purchase a copy of either Red Hat Linux, or Mandrake Linux, and they were sure to have a copy of Eric's Ultimate Solitaire for Linux as well. By 2001, you could find the entire catalogue of Loki's ports as well as Metrowerks Codeweaver for Redhat, and other various Linux software.

Carmack did a lot for linux, which is why its frustrating to hear him so down on it now. After the Quake3 port, Epic's Unreal series had the linux installers on disc up through UT2003, which all counted as windows sales unless you bought from a specific linux retailer. Carmack wrote linux graphics card drivers. He was big on OpenGL and open source in general. But as others have said, he doesn't seem to be real interested in games any more and he should go full on with Armadillo Aerospace, which I think is pretty awesome.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo